Monday, November 16, 2009

Homemade Pumpkin Pie - Moneyday

We had a group meeting yesterday and I was signed up for dessert. I had been eyeing the organic pie pumpkins at New Seasons since they came in, and decided to buy one and make pie with it, even though I'd never done that before. My pumpkin was about 3 1/2 pounds and cost only $.99/lb, costing me only 3.5 bucks. I got almost 4 1/2 cups of pumpkin, enough for 3 pies. I only had 2 cans of evaporated milk and 2 pie plates, so I only made 2 pies, but I had enough for 3, making that about $1.14 per pie's worth. Sounds cheaper than organic canned pumpkin to me, and it's fresh! Since I had fun with it, and saved money, I thought I'd share the process I used with those who might want to give it a go for the first time too. This will be my first Moneyday (Monday) post. I thought my blog would be more fun if I made each day of the week a theme and tried to remember to post each time. I'll start out with Monday as a test. Moneyday posts will be money saving tips I have found or discovered myself. Anyway, here's the process:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Rinse off the pumpkinCut the pumpkin in half, however it will lay most stably. It would be good to use a sharper knife than I had, lol. It was really hard to cut.

Scoop out the seeds and stringy fibers. I used a melon baller after an initial scoop out with an icecream scoop.

Lay halves cut-side up in a 13x9 dish, putting 1/4" water in the bottom. Lightly salt the cut sides and flick on a few little dabs of butter. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for about 50 minutes/until tender. Let cool to touchable temperature.

Scoop out the baked flesh with a spoon. Next, I put it in my wire mesh strainer set in a large measuring cup and pushed it through with my fingers/a spoon just like I do yolks for deviled eggs, but since that took about 30 minutes and was a lot of work, I might suggest just putting it in your food processor or blender instead. Process, and you have your pumpkin!

You could use it for much more than pie, of course, it would be perfect for baby food, making soup with, or what I plan on doing with my excess, some muffins or other yummy bread. And waste not, want not: those seeds you scooped out can be used for roasting and eating, or saved to plant in the garden to see if you can grow your own next year and save even more money! I haven't thought of any use for the skin, though, (yuck), so I discarded that. I guess you could compost it. My pie got Dad-the-pie-lover's stamp of approval, so I am happy. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea for your blog. I saw those pumpkins too and was charmed by them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that a month or so ago and froze about 3 cups worth after making two pies. I got the frozen out yesterday and made a cheesecake with some of it, and will likely make some more pies or quick bread this week. I put it in the blender, since we don't have a food processor, it worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete

May your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt. :)