Friday, September 14, 2012

An Adventure in Plum Sauce - the recipe

Much of my cooking is experimental (which drives my husband mad if he knows I didn't follow a recipe because it didn't turn out that time). This experiment turned out pretty well though.

My dear friend Shelby gave me a dozen plums. I wasn't really sure what to do with them since the boys are in a being gross and messy on purpose when eating fruit phase. So they ripened on my counter until I decided I needed to do something. Drying them sounded like a hassle with my current setup, so plum sauce it was! Here is what I did...

In a small pot, I put:
11-12 plums, pitted and quartered
1/4c. packed organic brown sugar
1tsp. lemon juice
2 small pinches of ginger powder
1/4-1/2tsp. Kosher salt
1tsp. local honey

I mixed it all up, then on medium heat I cooked them, stirring occasionally, until the mix was bubbly and the plums were soft. Then I turned it to low, and got out my immersion blender and blended. (But since, in reality, I had used my medium pot, not my small one, it was too splashy and I had to wait to fully blend it until cooled and in the storage container. Which made my sauce a tad lighter again, whereas yours would look like berry sauce in color.) After blending, I put it back on to medium-low to simmer a bit, stirring occasionally. It thickened and began to bubble again, and I turned off the heat when it was my desired thickness, which was about like a syrup. I let it cool, (then blended) and put in a container to store in the fridge. There ya go! Plum sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment

May your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt. :)