Friday, February 8, 2013

For Enoch, A Poem

I am sitting here, thinking how to type this. My sweet baby boy has gone ahead of me to his rest. I carried him to 18 weeks, but we think he died around 15 weeks. I woke this morning with the beginning of the poem I wanted to write for him forming and swirling in my head. My poems seem to most often hit me in bed, but it has been a long time since I have written any. This one is for him, my Enoch. I may post more about losing him later on, but here is his poem.


My womb is small and empty,
A hole is in my heart,
For I just wasn't ready
So soon to have to part.

I dreamed of knitted sweaters,
Of snuggles while you nurse,
And many hopes now hopeless,
As I face their reverse.

I know you are now seeing
Hope's everlasting end,
But waiting here behind you,
I yet but slowly mend.

I know I'll someday meet you
After braving best and worst,
But in my heart I whisper,
"I wish I'd known you first."
 Your loving mother, Robyn Story

1 comment:

  1. Robyn.... The pain only a mother can know. We never say good bye, only "see you soon dear one".

    ReplyDelete

May your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt. :)